Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Parent Reality Check For Me

As a parent I have unlimited issues I need to attempt to teach Mahkala about. There's the whole drinking, drinking & driving, relationships, sex, drugs, peer pressure, grades, future, behavior, politeness, etc, etc. I try to have conversations with her about certain issues when I feel the time is right. Having taught high school for five years, I quickly realized (or remembered perhaps) just how much 9th graders know. So I attempt to rewind a few years from 9th to 6th and think about what Kala might be learning without me knowing about it. SHe's told me some of her friends say bad words and she knows what words are inappropriate to say. Well needless to say, my world was turned upside down yesterday based on the following conversation....

Setting-our living room 7ish pm, watching Wheel of Fortune/Entertainment Tonight (i like to flip channels).

Me: "Wow-I can't believe Chris Brown beat up his girlfriend. THat whole thing is crazy"

Mahkala "Chris Brown beat up Rhianna?"

Me: "Well that's what the news reported and he turned himself in and was arrested"

Mahkala "Well maybe he was drunk"

At this point I'm stunned Eric & I look at each other and just pause for a few seconds.

Me: "Um do you think in that situation then it's okay if he beats her up?"

Mahkala (I think at this point she realizes what she said wasn't quite right) "No, but maybe Chris didn't like the last video she did with Justin TImberlake"

Once again I'm dumbfounded. In my head I'm thinking "I've so failed as a parent!"

Me: "mahkala do you really think it's okay in any of those situations? It's never okay to....and I go on to explain that no matter what there's nothing that justifies beating up or abusing your girlfriend/wife

Mahkala "okay i can't believe that. i'm so deleting his songs off my ipod"

And the evening went on.
Now I wasn't there and I don't know what happened other than what has been reported on the news but the fact is I couldn't believe Kala said that. I know we've never had that actual conversation because I never felt the need to. She sees that Eric & I treat each other well and she's never seen an abusive relationship. It scares me that she attempted to justify it. I know I need to talk to her more even about things that I assume she'll never have to experience. Those talks are never fun but I know they are very necessary. On another note in a way it was good for Kala to hear that because she said "Chris Brown seemed like such a nice person" and it gave me the chance to explain to her that that's usually the type of people that act that way. I was shocked as well and in the past never had to worry about her listening to his music, but it goes to show you just never know. I always welcome advice from other parents w/daughters. Oh and Eric voiced his opinion too but he has to write his own blog if he wants to share it!!!!
No parent-of-the-year award for me this year ):

2 comments:

  1. I think you still earn a parent of the year award. You realized what she was saying and you caught it. I wouldn't have thought about explaining an abusive relationship either, if you haven't been around one. How good of you to even sit down and watch T.V. with her. I think if I took more time to sit and really listen to the shows my kids are watching (not that they are bad, Kaylee is only 7) we would have a lot more teaching moments in our house. Good job Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Steph, but I just laughed through the whole thing. I'm sure your mom is loooking down on you laughing too and praying. You do a great job and are so good with Mahkala, she respects you,that's obvious. You are good to have taken that opportunity to discuss things with her. I love that she said she was, "so deleting all of Chris Brown" from her ipod. Much love from another mother.

    ReplyDelete