Thursday, May 28, 2009

Reality #1 & #2

I've done some myths of what I thought it would be like to be a stay-at-home mom, but I've decided to do some "realities." Can't focus on what's not there all the time! Don't even know if that makes sense. Okay, here are a few things I've realized this year.

Reality #1-
Teachers have it pretty good. Now before all teachers yell and ream me for that comment, hear me out. Believe me. I've been cussed at, gotten attitude, sat through numerous fire drills on the football field, watched kids ditch and show up tardy, and been treated like dirt by parents, however overall there are many wonderful parts to be a teacher. For the amount of time we actually work, we are paid decent. I still think our country is backwards since celebs/athletes make the ridiculous money they do and firemen, police officers, & teachers make what we do, but teachers make okay money. We get a lot of time off-every night, weekends, every imaginable holiday, and summers. I know teachers take their work home with them and some do work extra, but I'm talking about what's required. Most jobs require people to bring their work home with them at some point. I couldn't wait to spend extra time with Eric this year but he never gets holidays off. He gets one President's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. THAT'S IT!! Not 4th of July, not New Year's, not MLK day, nada. It sucks that he has to work and we are home wishing he was here. I'm grateful for all the time I get home with my family that the teaching schedule allows. Another positive is the benefits. I knew we had good benefits, but I never understood the magnitude until this year. We are on Eric's insurance this year. I'm appreciative we have at least some insurance but it can't even get close to what my district provides. I'm so excited to get those benefits back effective Aug 12th! We are hitting up all the doctors then (: And of course there's the wonderful aspect of interacting with students and watching them learn.

Reality #2 (the most important one)-
I've learned how wonderful it is to be home to spend time with my daughter and be there as a mom. When I first announced I was staying home, one of my best friends, Krysta, told me it is the most wonderful job yet one where the reward isn't always seen on a day-to-day basis. She couldn't have said it better. I've loved being the room mom for Kala's room, being able to attend all school functions, parties, and field trips, say "yes" whenever the school called and needed volunteers, bring Kala a fun lunch from Subway or Zeni-ya once in a while, doing the monthly crossguard (I'll give Eric credit for this one too. He always comes with me), and being able to drop off Kala at 8:15 and pick her up at 3:15 rather than having her go to the before/after school daycare. Any working mom has felt guilt for having to leave their children while they work, so it was great to not feel that this year. Who knows what we are going to do next year when she's in jr. high since there's no more day care. We'll work that out this summer. I'm not the most motherly type, but it's been wonderful to be a full-time mom and wife. I may not have cooked and cleaned all year long (if at all), but spending so much time with my family has been wonderful. I've been able to meet Eric for lunches and stay longer than 35 minutes (that's what we have at my school) or run errands for him because I know it's something I can help out with. I'll miss many aspects of staying home next year, but I'm beyond grateful to Eric for allowing me to stay home this year. I never thought I'd get the chance to do so. One more year would be great!! But I know once Kala's in jr. high most of what I was doing goes away and I'm okay with that. So thank you bebe (Eric) for your support this year and NO you cannot stay home next year (:

3 comments:

  1. Why can't he stay home? That seems fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He can stay home if he keeps bringing in what he makes now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a great year and learned so many things about yourself that you might not have learned! Way to go. And don't feel bad for not cooking and cleaning all the time. It's much more fun to not worry about those things...I wish I could figure out how to do it though! :)

    ReplyDelete