Friday, April 24, 2009

Myth #3

This one is sort of a half-myth. Cooking...let's see. Where do I begin? When I lived with my mom in Utah I began to learn how to cook because she was sick and I enjoyed taking care of her. When we moved back to Fresno after she passed away, I pretty much stopped. Cooking for me and a 4 year old was not enjoyable. I'd go to my sister's house and cook with them, but at home not so much. Once I got married, I thought, "Okay. More people-I can maybe cook and enjoy it." Not so much. When I first started to stay home and I did the budget, I tried to figure out where all our money had gone when I was working. I figured we'd have to cancel cell phones, cable, internet, etc. when I stayed home. Nope. Just had to cut back a little bit on our misc. cash. So where did the money go? After some research I realized we were spending approximately $2000 a month on eating out. I worked all day. Why should I cook? We didn't go to McD's or Taco Bell. We would go to Yosemite Ranch, Chevys, Olive Garden, or even Dai Bai Dang. Family of four eating out usually 6 nights a week=most of my paycheck! I was working to feed us. So I decided now that I was staying home , I would cook every night and save us money! LOL I make myself laugh sometimes. Okay so I have cooked a lot more this year than ever in my life. I've mastered the crock pot and have tried numerous new recipes. However, this comes and goes in waves. I did really well the first few months then it fell off between Nov-Jan. Then I started cooking again, planning the weekly menu, and going to the grocery store on a regular basis. Yah-it fell off again. Not sure why this time. The holidays make sense to me but maybe I'm just getting lazy now. So the myth is that "When I stay home I will provide home cooked meals every night for my family and enjoy it!" I do not enjoy planning meals each week. I have a difficult time being creative. Some people have it-some don't . I don't . I plan to be better next year when I go back to work so my paycheck doesn't go down the drain, but it will take a lot of effort on my part! And, No, I haven't cooked one meal in the past 2 weeks. I'm a bad mom/wife!

2 comments:

  1. You're not a bad mom. My mom went through quite a dry cooking spell. As long as you make chocolate chip cookies every once in a while, you're great! But if you do save all that money by cooking, think of all the trips you could make to Albuquerque!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan. Think of all the trips you could take to ABQ! You're not a bad mom/wife if cooking isn't your thing. You're great at so many other things. Cut yourself some slack sister!

    ReplyDelete